Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions not listed please call 0423 488 048


Are you licensed?

All electricians and electrical contractors must be licensed to work in Western Australia. Our electricians hold current electrical workers licences.
Under the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991, electrical work must be performed by people with licences issued by the Electrical Licensing Board. Some types of work are exempted from these regulations.
A licensing system ensures only qualified electricians are employed by electrical contractors.
A safety certificate is provided on completion of all electrical work as required by Energy Safety. Preliminary Notices and Notices of Completion are submitted to Western Power on completion of jobs requiring this notification.
^ Back to Top

Is your work covered by warranty?

A 12 month warranty applies to all labour. Parts are covered by the manufacturer's warranty and repair/replacement is made at the manufacturer’s discretion.
^ Back to Top

How do I know my electrical repair is safe?

Safe installations are performed by competent people to appropriate industry standards.

Electrical Contractors must certify the work is safe and complies with regulations before supply is connected. Certifications can be independently validated for authenticity with Energy Safety.

If completed correctly, modern electrical installations will remain safe for the installation's expected life.

Older appliances may be more volatile and safety concerns such as electric shocks must be reported to your electrical supplier as soon as you notice them.

For more information go to
^ Back to Top

What is an Electrical Safety Certificate?

As of 1 July 2008, all electrical contractors must supply an electrical safety certificate within 28 days of their service.

This certificate guarantees your work was safely performed by licensed electrical contractors and complies with regulation standards.

Certificates are issued for all electrical installations (excluding repairs) completed on residential, commercial, industrial and institutional premises.

No matter how small your job is, we recommend you request a certificate for your records.
For more information go to
^ Back to Top

What do I need to know about smoke alarms?

Smoke alarms are an essential safety device for your home.
In 2009 it became compulsory for all houses, units etc being sold or rented to have smoke alarms fitted. Mains powered smoke alarms are wired into your house's electrical system and have to be installed by a licensed electrical contractor.
All smoke alarms have a recognised service life of 10 years before they become unreliable. Smoke alarms therefore need to be changed every 10 years. For safety reasons, smoke alarms are fitted with a battery back-up. When the battery requires replacing, a warning beep will sound every 60 seconds for a minimum of 7 days.
How do I know if they are working? All smoke alarms are fitted with a test switch and FESA recommends all units should be tested monthly
If the smoke alarm needs to be fitted to a position where cables cannot be installed a smoke alarm powered by a 10 year life battery that cannot be removed from the alarm should be used.
Designed to be highly sensitive, smoke alarms sound a warning alarm when smoke is detected in the home. Due to their sensitivity, smoke alarms may detect smoke and moisture created by common household activities.

Smoke alarms must be regularly tested to ensure the alarm and batteries operate effectively. We recommend testing once a month as well as cleaning your alarm with a vacuum cleaner annually.

For more information see (Department of Fire & Emergency Services)
^ Back to Top

What areas do you service?

N P Electrical services the Perth Metropolitan area, from Rockingham to Yanchep and the Hills to the eastern suburbs. While being North Perth based Electrical Contractors, we have easy access to Joondalup, Wanneroo, Ocean Reef, Mindarie, Butler and to all areas North and South of Perth. view a full list of areas we cover..
A travel charge may apply depending on your location. Feel free to contact us and find out if a fee applies.
^ Back to Top

Larger jobs can be quoted on a price basis instead of an hourly rate.
Additionally, apprentices attend most jobs and are charged according to their year and experience. (See apprentices.)

^ Back to Top

How do I pay my account?

Most invoices will be sent to you via email. The following payment methods are accepted:

  • Cash
  • Cheque
  • Bank transfer

Payment is expected on the day of completion if the invoice is issued at time of completion of the work.  If the invoice is emailed to you, then the account must be settled upon receipt of the invoice. 
^ Back to Top

What is an RCD?

RCDs are safety devices designed to prevent death by electric shock. These devices monitor the flow of electricity within a circuit. If the amount of electricity flowing into a circuit exceeds the amount leaving, the RCD automatically cuts the electricity supply within 10 to 50 milliseconds of detection.

An RCD is a life-saving investment for your family. To effectively reduce the risk of electric shock, RCD's should be should be fitted to all power points and lighting circuits in your home. To reduce incidents of electric shock, the Western Australian Government changed RCD regulations in August 2009. The legislation demands every sold or leased home be fitted with a minimum of two RCDs, which must protect all power points and lighting circuits.

To ensure that the RCD functions correctly, the test button must be pressed every three months. Pushing the test button simulates an earth leakage fault and indicates if the device operates correctly. Electrical clocks and timing devices may need to be reset after the test button has been pushed and the RCD turned back on.
For more information
^ Back to Top

What products do we use?

For electrical work, we use Clipsal products whenever possible. Clipsal is a long established Australian owned company. With a 5 year warranty and in-house warranty on the majority of their products, this premier brand is a superior quality product.
For other products, we endeavour to use reputable, Australian made/owned products.
For appliance repairs we use the manufacturer's original parts whenever possible.
^ Back to Top

When are you open?

Our office is attended from 7.00am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday. If calling between these times, occasionally the call will be diverted to voicemail. Please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.
Appointments are booked with a 2 hour window given between 7.30am and 4pm. If more convenient, a call can be placed to notify you when the tradesperson is on his way.
^ Back to Top

Do you use apprentices?

N P Electrical has trained apprentices for over 5 years.

We are committed to educating apprentices, ensuring a bright future for the electrical trade.

Apprentices are charged according to their level of electrical experience. They receive on the job training and assist with electrical repairs and installation.
^ Back to Top


Contact us at N P Electrical today to discuss how we can assist you with your electrical servicing needs or call 0423 488048

All Commercial - Industrial - Domestic Electrical work undertaken

NP Electrical Covering the Northern Suburbs, Perth, WA.